Friday, September 28, 2012

a bear like no other

6:10 Monday morning we woke to a sweet voice over the baby monitor, calling out for "mommy, and daddy." I rolled out of bed and went upstairs to little man's room.  He climbed into my arms.  He wanted to get "up"...but, Jim's alarm didn't go off for 20 more minutes and I was secretly hoping Moses would drift back to sleep.  He was determined to stay awake. He quickly found his teddy bear next to his bed.


Moses embraced the bear and while sitting on my lap he started singing, "God is so good, God is so good" {with extra emphasize on the "SO".}

My eyes filled with tears....

...for this bear is near and dear to my heart. It was made from my mom's shirt after she passed away. Moses found this teddy the first morning we were home from Ethiopia.  For a little boy who doesn't like stuff animals, he fell in love with this one.

{it has since taken up residence on his trike, which is conveniently parked in our family room}.

Thoughts of my mom flooded my mind on that Monday morn....and my heart overflowed with gratitude for this incredible little boy.

This song has great significance.  My mom use to sing it to my sister as she rocked her to sleep.  Sarah would start crying the moment my mom would start singing because she knew her eyes would grow heavy and sleep would overtake her before my mom could finish the first verse.

When we were in Ethiopia and we were beyond weary trying to get Moses to sleep...we would rock him and sing.  We sang every song we could think of, but the ones we kept repeating were, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and....."God is so Good".

I can't remember the last time I sang that song to him...(maybe three weeks ago? maybe in Ethiopia?)
But, Moses remembered.

A moment so pure and powerful, it moved me to tears...and I pray I never may forget.

God is SO good.

2 comments:

The Speck Family said...

beautiful story :)

rachel said...

amazing.
God IS SO good.