Thursday, June 25, 2009

Field Day

Finally, field day came! It has been the talk of the school this past week (yes I am still in school for those of you teacher readers out there enjoying your summer break right now).

As the time drew near for the afternoon segment to start (for the 3rd-5th grade students), I decided it was time to change. I quickly threw on my swimsuit and a t-shirt and made my way out to the playground. You may ask yourself... why the swimsuit? I was going to be in the dunk tank, that's why. A couple other teachers were all dressed and ready to go in when I got out there, so I decided to make my way to the gym and play some basketball and check out the inflatable obstacle courses before I was soaked for the rest of the day. I played a couple games of one-on-one and one-on-two which quickly became one-on-three. Then I walked around checking out the different stations... did a couple Hulas(??) at the hula hoop station, signed a few kids' shirts at the shirt signing station, and passed by many others. I then came to the test your speed baseball throw. Obviously, I got in line. Somehow kids kept going in front of me thinking I was just watching. Then finally Mr. Denman (a 3rd grade teacher), seeing what was going on walked past the 4 or 5 kids that cut in front of me and gave me the 3 cloth-like baseballs. All the kids turned reaching out their hands for the baseballs as Mr. Denman walked past them thinking he didn't see them. Once they saw him give me the "baseballs" they quickly cleared out of the way and became a cheering section, and I got ready to throw my arm out. I think the gun might have been a little tempermental, as my three throws (which all felt equally thrown in my mind) rang in at 19, 60, and 80mph. I heard my record stood all afternoon... no big deal.

Then I headed over to the imfamous dunk tank. Shortly thereafter I got the nod. I climbed up and took my seat where I thought I would last for a little while at least, but to my dismay I went down on the 2nd throw from a 3rd grade girl. The water was actually a nice break from the 95 degree weather and beating sun. I spent about 35-40 minutes in the dunk tank spread between two stints and probably went under about 25-30 times, a couple of those coming thanks to other staff members activating the switch from the back when I truly wasn't expecting it. It is amazing how excited the kids get for the chance to dunk their teacher, and how good of an aim some of the students had. I had another cheering... or maybe more like a jeering section right next to the tank who would laugh at me when I got dunked and then I would spalsh them with water... it was mutual.

Here are a few pictures to document the experience.

First time up, nice and dry and hoping to stay that way...


...But that didn't happen.



Feeling confident after lasting through a few students

Then I was finally taken down for the last dunk of the day

A day filled with sun, water, laughter, dunking, playing, lemonade, gatorade, icee pops, and a whole lot of smiles... a perfect day!

3 more schools days till the end of the year! (4 days until the next school year begins...)

jim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, i would say the middle number was the accurate one for the MPH's. (60) Good thing it was 95 so the arm was nice and loose to let it rip and get 60mph!

rachel said...

19?! NINETEEN?!?
I guess you had to get warmed up. :)