Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Newbery Quest

Well my first year of the quest went a lot slower than anticipated. I only checked 8 books off the list, but I'm hoping to do much better this year.

Here are the ones now checked off the list:
(The list goes from favorite to least favorite)

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry 1994
2. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry 1990
3. Holes by Louis Sachar 1999
4. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin 1979
5. Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson 1957
6. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman 1987
7. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli 1990
8. Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz 2008

**To clarify, I have read some of these books multiple times in the past years. However, to make my quest official, I have read them all again since January of 2008. So, no, Kristin, I have not cheated!

79 more to go! (not including the book that wins the award in 09).

Jim

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Did you cheat at all? I know you've read some of those books before.

rachel said...

Oh my gosh, I loved The Whipping Boy! I needed one of those growing up...

Aunt Deb said...

Have you selected your title list for '09? Or do you pick 'em as you go?
I should start reading them too. Except for Bud, Not Buddy, I haven't read any of the winners since the late '80's.
Happy Reading!

Luke said...

Wow that list brings me back. I think we read some of those back in middle school. Maybe it was for "Battle of the Books". I actually just read "Holes" myself.