Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Youth of the Nation

I'm working with some kids on inference right now, and I decided I would put you, our faithful readers, up to the test. If you don't know what it means, look it up in the dictionary... we may be working on dictionary skills too.

On Saturday, we headed out late morning and met up with a couple of really cool people. We then went to a restaurant which had a strange variety of choices. Then I played some MarioKart on the Wii with one of the aforementioned cool people. It was then off to another restaurant (Chick-fil-a) for lunch. We returned from lunch stuffed and ready for an afternoon at the pool. The pool time was filled with water volleyball, Marco Polo, and some races (individual and relay... and some with one team member swimming on the back of another team member of course). It was then time to head back to the house to get some work done. Emily took liberties with one of the persons and planted about 10 trees. I actually found myself working on an operating table, it was crazy and difficult but I proved to be a pretty good surgeon. After our good services to the community, we decided it was time for some Sorry, paper-rock-scissors, Hide-and-Seek, and some Perfection. The time with these people ended with some pretty intense four square.

Truly a splendid, but tiring, day.

So, can you infer what we did on Saturday????

Here are some hints: The cool people we hung out with were 2 girls, a 6th grader and a 2nd grader (I worked with their mom last year at GHE). The first restaurant talked about above was a pretend restaurant with small erasers shaped like common food items. I had a hot dog, hamburger (with the light green lettuce, not the dark green), a smiley face popsicle, and some soda... which I got for free because the girl (the 2nd grader) behind the "counter" said I was nice so I didn't have to pay. Awesome! Also, while I was working on the operating table I was able to successfully remove the charlie horse, wrenched ankle, adam's apple, and the writers cramp ( yes, it is true, we played the game Operation). Again, awesome! The trees Emily planted... they were plastic and planted on a piece of plywood, painted to look like Central Park, with green Play-Doh... a school project.

Okay, you better have it figured out by now. We babysat on Saturday. We had a great time with them as always, and look forward to doing it again soon.


If you got that right, I am glad... you passed the simple test. There may be more of these kinds of posts to come later.

Sunday, Emily did not have to work (someone wanted to switch with her). We were excited to have 2 days off together (a rarity these days). We went to church in the morning, had a nice light lunch, and did some dog training. Bentley is impressing us... sometimes.

In the evening, we headed out to a local park to help Andy and Amy with the Youth Group's Fall Kick-Off from church. We organized a game of ultimate frisbee, and it was my team vs. Emily's team. It was a great time, and I must say, Emily did an amazing job of inspiring her team out there. The game was followed up with some pizza and singing/devotions. What a great way to spend a perfect Sunday night.

The work week is now back in full swing, and life is busy. However, last night we found ourselves on the couch... both reading, both reading Newbery Medal Winners, and both reading Lois Lowry. Emily reading "The Giver" (because it is one of my favorite children's books if not thee favorite, and I have been trying to get her to read it for a long time). I was reading "Number the Stars." I am getting back to my quest of reading all the Newbery Medal Winners (that are still in print).

So whether it was looking after them, playing frisbee with them, teaching them, delivering them, or reading books that were designed for them... the YOUTH is what has shaped us for the past few days!


jim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"pizza, signing/devotions"? I didn't know you knew how to sign Jim, maybe instead of using all of these fancy words you should learn how to spell first.

rachel said...

I LOVED Number the Stars - such a classic.

Tomorrow night we have Parent Orientation (whenever I say that, I hear really dramatic, melancholy organ chords in my head). Soon my blog will be riddled with stories of funny teenagers once again...

Sounds like you guys are doing well! :)